What is the Worker’s Compensation Reform all about?
It is a social insurance system established about 100 years ago wherein employers are given protection from civil liability. In return, they should provide compensation in the form of cash and medical services to employees who experienced injuries or accidents in the workplace. Denver workers compensation attorneys have fought for the rights of workers over the years. The benefits received by employers have drastically improved through time such as being modified to reflect increase in salaries.
What are the Colorado Employees Entitled To?
It has been commonly said that statutes dictate what can be done while the rules will tell you how to do so. In Colorado, the employee’s choice of doctor, reimbursement of provider and utilization review are also being regulated. Below are the main points of the laws and regulations that are being implemented in the area:
- The state of Colorado has mandated employers or insurance providers to provide at the very least medical case management services. This can be rendered organizations or groups of certified medical practitioners.
- Insurance companies must establish clear communication with the employers, workers and physicians in order to make sure that injured workers are able to receive medical care in a timely and appropriate manner.
- The insurance provider, employer and injured employee may ask to have an evaluation of the medical services being provided to them by a medical practitioner. Those who are unable to meet the standard quality of care being asked of them may be suspended from provision of medical services to beneficiaries.
- Medical practitioners are required to perform medical care in accordance with the standard treatment guidelines that were developed by the state director of compensation for workers. Examples of treatment guidelines for lower back pain, injuries in the upper and lower extremities, thoracic outlet syndrome and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- In 2010, Greeley disability lawyers & Denver disability lawyers report that a provision in the law was removed that reduces an injured worker’s compensation when he is already receiving both permanent partial disability and Social Security benefits.
- In May 2014, the Denver workers compensation attorneys were happy to announce that the Colorado House of Representatives were able to pass House Bill 1383. The house bill gives workers the freedom to choose from four instead of two doctors each time they are injured on the job. This finally resolves the concern of many residents in Colorado that the present system is always leaning towards the side of companies, instead of the employees.
Workers’ Compensation can become quite confusing especially if you don’t have a deep understanding of the law. Seek the help of a Denver and Greeley workers compensation lawyer from Kaplan Morrell so that you are fully aware of your rights and benefits. Make sure that you are not underpaid by insurance companies. We have already helped several employees since 1997. Contact us here or reach us at (866) 356-9898 for your free consultation.